HOW TO BECOME AN EAST WEST CLINICAL HERBALIST (EWCH)
Because so many of our graduates become effective, valuable and successful herbalists, we now offer a clinical herbalist program. The East West School of Herbology East West Clinical Herbalist (EWCH) Course is specific for those desiring to pursue a career as a clinical herbalist. It acknowledges the expertise and experience of our East West clinical herbalists and carries the endorsement of Michael and Lesley Tierra. This program takes three or more years to complete and offers special benefits and privileges. Prospective EWCH candidates enroll in the Professional Herbalist Course first, and any time after may state their intentions for the EWCH program.
ADMISSION TO THE EWCH COURSE
This special certification acknowledges the expertise and experience of our East West clinical herbalists and offers special benefits and privileges.
- Enroll in the Professional Herbalist Course
- Complete the Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced tracks of the East West Seminar(Foundation and Intermediate seminars may be completed while working on the Professional Course, Advanced seminar is done after completion of the Professional Course). One seminar is completed per year and seminars are offered once a year in the Spring.
- Completion of all Professional Herb Course lesson tests, projects, essays, and final exam
- Apply for admission
REQUIREMENTS FOR COMPLETION OF THE EWCH COURSE
- Complete 400 minimum clinical hours (includes supervised and mentoring hours)
- Presentation of three hour-long chatroom studies covering the following topics: 1) A case study, 2) A clinical plant monograph and 3) a specific disease treatment
- Complete Anatomy and Physiology* training (from an approved school or our East West A&P Course)
- Complete Pathology and Disease* training (from an approved school or our East West P&D Course)
- Highly recommended, but optional:
- Body therapy education
- Attend 18 chats (or webinars)/year on the student forum for three years (a total of 54 chats)
- Take and pass 12 online quizzes/year for three years (a total of 36 passed quizzes)
*While we offer these courses through distance learning, you may also take them at an approved college or university and present us with your transcript or a certificate of completion.
THE 400 CLINICAL HOURS
The 400 clinical hours are supervised hours based on your own clients and cases under approved East West School EWCH mentors. This requirement is based on a MINIMUM of 80 cases totaling 400 hours and it may take more than 400 hours to meet our approval. While there are no hour requirements for mentoring, the completion of this condition is based upon demonstration of expertise as determined by the approved teachers, mentors and directors of the East West School of Planetary Herbology. Mentoring hours can commence after completion of the 36 Lesson Professional Course and attendance at the foundation and intermediate seminars. Many of our EWCH candidates satisfy the clinical hour requirement by submitting case studies to their mentor via email, followed by scheduled sessions via Skype and/or telephone.
BODY THERAPY EDUCATION
We strongly encourage our students to attend body therapy seminars or earn a certificate of completion from an approved program of study in shiatsu, tui na, Swedish or some other form of massage, acupressure, chiropractic, acupuncture, physical therapy, or other physical body work program. Body therapy offers many invaluable tools to the herbalist.
BENEFITS AND PRIVILEGES
As an EWCH you receive:
- Free advertising and promotion of your clinical practiceon our website*
- Free referral to your clinical practice
- Lifetime access to our Learning Centerfor on-going support with other East West practitioners
- Lifetime access to the Graduate Learning Center
- Discounts on Planetary Herbals’ formulas
- Endorsement by Michael and Lesley Tierra
*Advertising and promotion of your clinical practice: On our website we will post a photo of you, your clinic and detailed descriptions of your biography, practice and services offered. This provides free advertising for your clinic as well as a referral service for clients.
Those interested in the East West Clinical Herbalist (EWCH) Course, please CONTACT US. You may also enroll in the Professional Herbalist Course now and state your intentions for the EWCH program at a later date. Enrollment in the Professional Herbalist Course is the first step in the EWCH program.