This 12 lesson distance learning course is suitable for:
- The beginning student interested in herbal medicine
- Those interested in herbal medicine for the general health of one’s family
- Someone who sells, grows or manufactures herbal and health products
- Anyone desiring to pursue a theoretical basis in the principles of East West energetics for herbs, diseases and foods
Introduction to Herbalism: Twelve Lessons to Family Herbalist Mastery
The Family Herbalist Course consists of twelve lessons, the book Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health by Rosemary Gladstar, a study guide with articles and teachings by Dr. Michael Tierra, and the following which provide the materia medica basis for the course
Other Books Included:
- The Way of Herbs by Michael Tierra
- Planetary Herbology DVD with Michael Tierra. View a clip on the sidebar!
- A Kids Herb Book by Lesley Tierra
- 1 year subscription to the Student Assembly online classroom – forum, live chat, historical chat search and student website support!
Chapter topics in the Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health consist of:
- Eco-Logical Herbalism
- A Prescription for Life
- Taming Stress and Anxiety
- Home Remedies for Everyday Ailments
- Recipes for Radiant Beauty
- For Children
- For Women
- For Men
- For Elders
Optional recommended reading:
- A Male Herbal by James Green
- Herbal Healing for Women by Rosemary Gladstar
- Herbal Remedies for Women by Amanda McQuade Crawford
How is the Family Herbalist Course Presented?
The Family Herbalist Course is presented in written format, the lessons similar to chapters in a textbook. Along with the course books, students also have a workbook and a study guide to the Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health (both of which contain helpful information, supplemental articles, detailed information and teachings).
Each lesson of the Family Herbalist Course and chapter of the study guide includes a test, essays and projects to be completed by the student at his/her own pace. Testing material is included in the workbook along with a key for self-correction. If you would like to have your work reviewed by East West School it is best to enroll directly into the Professional Course instead and you can start with the first 12 Lessons and then proceed to the rest of the course as desired.
How Long Does it Take to Complete the Family Herbalist Course?
There is no time length to complete the Family Herbalist Course. The average length of time takes from three to six months.
What Tools are Used to Learn the Family Herbalist Course Material?
In addition to the course we also offer a Learning Center on our website, a private forum area and chat room sessions each week with Michael Tierra and guest herbalists.The forums and chat room sessions are your opportunity to engage, interact and connect with other students and school faculty and be a part of the East West School herbal community. The Learning Center also includes a Private Student Library that includes documents, webinar presentations, videos and articles.
The Family Herbalist Course Syllabus
- Lesson 1: History of Herbology
- Lesson 2: A Balanced Diet: The Key to Health
- Lesson 3: Herbs as Special Foods
- Lesson 4: Ayurveda Tridosha Theory
- Lesson 5: Chinese Theory: Yin and Yang
- Lesson 6: The Chinese Theory of Five Elements
- Lesson 7: Chinese Differential Diagnosis
- Lesson 8: The Nature of Medicinal Herbs
- Lesson 9: Herbal Formulary
- Lesson 10: Herbal Remedies I
- Lesson 11: Herbal Remedies II
- Lesson 12: Herbal Therapeutics
What Supplemental Materials are Offered with the Family Herbalist Course?
In addition to the above curriculum, several supplemental materials are available, including instructional tapes, articles, booklets, books and video tapes. These enhance the lessons further and help explain some of the more intricate theories of herbology on a deeper level.
What Courses do I take after the Completing the Family Herbalist Course?
After completing the Family Herbalist Course, you may continue with the Professional Herbalist Course, if desired, by purchasing the next two sections of that course plus an upgrade fee of $200 .
Note about the Family Herbalist Course: This is an informational course only, and does NOT include the tutor marking and Certificate of Completion that is offered with the Professional Course. If you would like the tutor marking and Certificate awarded with the 36 Lesson Professional Course, but only want to start with 12 Lessons, it is best to enroll directly into the Professional Course, payment one, Lessons 1-12. Then when you are ready to proceed to the rest of the Professional Course you already have the first 12 Lessons done!