THE PREMIER HERBALIST PATH
In-depth training for those seeking a career as a Professional Herbalist
While Western herbal training tends to emphasize the allopathic use of herbs (“this herb is good for that”) along with their pharmacology and biochemistry, our Planetary Herbal approach teaches the energetic identification and application of herbs. Energetic herbalism recognizes the heating or cooling, strengthening or eliminating, rising or descending, taste, properties and so on of herbs as well as of disease.
This system does not diagnose and prescribe, but identifies patterns of illness based on specific energies and then chooses herbs and treatment strategies accordingly.
The Planetary Herbalism energetic teachings of the East West Herb Courses are based on the oldest, living, extant herbal medicine systems, Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and Traditional Ayurvedic Medicine (TAM), each of which have over 5000 years of experience and practice.
These energetic systems are only tools, yet they have proved to be the most effective, efficient and alternative approaches to allopathic herbalism and medical diagnosis and treatment.
The Planetary Herbalism system provides a rational assessment methodology system on which to base which herbs you choose for treatment, an approach unfortunately lost in most Western herbal training systems. The East West Herb Courses also teach energetic diet and food therapy along with tools to tailor your own health-supportive diet along with preparations, remedies and other healing tools, techniques and therapies.
In fact, many students regain their own health, and/or help their family members and friends regain their health, just by studying and applying our course teachings.
The Professional Herbalist distance-learning course with supplemental materials and benefits is intended for:
- The serious student interested in more in-depth herbal training
- Those who would like to explore a materia medica of over 600 herbs from around the world
- Those seeking to delve deeper into the theory and practice of Planetary Herbology
- Those desiring to learn the energy of herbs and illness
- Those desiring to learn how to use herbs in the most effective and efficient way possible
- Those desiring to pursue advanced studies in various systems of diagnosis and treatment of specific ailments
- Those desiring to learn how to treat disease pattern with herbs and not disease themselves
- Those desiring to pursue a career as a professional herbalist
- Those desiring to pursue a career as a clinical herbalist
THIS COURSE IN PROFESSIONAL STUDIES PROVIDES:
- 3-year subscription to the online classroom
- Personalized answers and evaluations to lesson test essays and projects
- In-depth knowledge on how to use herbs effectively and efficiently to treat yourself and others
- In-depth knowledge of 44 herbal categories and how to use their herbs clinically and therapeutically.
- In-depth knowledge of how to differentiate and treat disease patterns (rather than diagnosis and treat diseases) and to effectively and efficiently apply herbal remedies and formulas to those patterns
- In-depth knowledge of the diagnosis and treatment of over 944 ailments
- In-depth knowledge of advanced diagnostic techniques
- Ability to evaluate illness according to specific energy patterns using several assessment methods such as observation, interrogation, tongue, pulse and other techniques
- Administer herbs according to their unique energies to treat specific patterns of illness
- The Professional Course is approved by the California Acupuncture board for 400 CE hours for licensed acupuncturists.
THE PREMIER HERBALIST PATH
Learn How to Become a Professional Herbalist
A GRADUATE OF THE PROFESSIONAL HERBALIST COURSE OBTAINS:
- A certificate in Professional Herbal Studies with Michael and Lesley Tierra
- Eligibility to attend all continuing education and graduate classes at the annual seminars (if you have attended the Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced seminars previously).
- Eligibility to apply for admittance into the EWCH Program which carries the endorsement of a practitioner by Michael and Lesley Tierra
- Eligibility to participate in the East West Mentorship Program
- Ability to practice as a clinical herbalist
- Capability of pursuing all professions in the field of herbalism and natural health
Many students after completing this course open clinics as professional herbal practitioners. As well, M.D.’s, D.C.’s and acupuncturists often call upon their herbal expertise. They also teach, publish papers and books, appear on radio shows, and create products, among other professional activities. Others use their knowledge to treat family, friends and community members.
BRAND NEW COURSE!
We are so excited to share with you our updated, expanded course!
NEW IN THE 2017 EDITION:
- Our 36 classic lessons have been updated to a total of nearly 2200 pages
- Expanded: 18 materia medica lessons with new herbs and up-to-date fresh material on herbs, dosages, treatments, cases, herb combinations, and more
- Comparisons of herbs provided in each of the 44 herbal categories covered, helping you decide when to choose one herb over another for a given condition so you best match the person’s needs
- Completely new layout of the materia medica lessons with roomy margins for personal notes and accessible, easy-to-read and study text
- Over 600 herb entries
- 264 formulas included
- Herbal approaches given for treating 944 health conditions
- Hundreds of additional tables, figures, recipes, charts, boxes, and important notes covering important information and the authors’ personal experiences
- Extensive and comprehensive indexes that make the course an incredibly useful and valuable clinical manual, including herbs organized by common, Latin, Chinese, and other herbal names; formulas index; table/figure/recipe index
And as always, our commitment to giving you the best distance learning experience remains the same:
- Learn to heal with herbs from the comfort of your own home
- Take advantage of our amazing private online student forum
- Go at your own pace
- Personally graded essays after each lesson
- 36 lessons in 3 spiral bound books that lie flat while you study
- 12 supplemental texts included with your order
- Regular online webinars targeted to students
- Take your studies a step further at our transformational annual week-long seminar in the California redwood forest
WE’D LOVE TO WELCOME YOU INTO OUR FUN, FASCINATING PLANETARY HERBOLOGY STUDENT COMMUNITY. ENROLL TODAY!
- Section I (Lessons 1-12)
- Section II (Lessons 13-24) is an extensive and comprehensive materia medica, including over 500 herbs and medicines from around the world.
- Section III (Lessons 25-36) contains the remaining materia medica lessons and emphasizes the clinical diagnosis of specific diseases and the maintenance of health. It then brings together all of the knowledge of the previous lessons to enable the student to be a competent herbal consultant. Details below
The Professional Herbalist Course is an advanced course that teaches you how to therapeutically use herbs to effectively and efficiently treat yourself and others. It is perfect for those who desire an in-depth knowledge of herbs and how to use them clinically and therapeutically. This complete course is also perfect for those who desire more thorough herbal knowledge. This course is based on, but definitely not limited to, a foundation of Western herbalism along with Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and Traditional Ayurvedic Medicine (TAM). In this course you learn how to differentiate and treat disease patterns (rather than diagnose and treat diseases) and to effectively and efficiently apply herbal remedies and formulas. The Professional Herbalist Course emphasizes a materia medica of over 600 herbs — Western, Chinese and Ayurvedic — along with diagnosis, treatment of hundreds of ailments and advanced diagnostic techniques.
Many students, after completing this course, open clinics as professional herbal practitioners. As well, M.D.’s, D.C.’s and acupuncturists often call upon their herbal expertise. They also teach, do radio shows and publish their writings along with create products and perform other professional activities.
The course is presented in a written format, the lessons similar to chapters in a textbook. Along with the course books students also have a workbook that contains helpful information, supplemental articles and the testing material. This course and its workbook contain over 2300 pages. These along with a 258-page Index book are mailed to students. Students study the course materials via distance-learning and utilize the online classroom to enhance the course studies via articles, a private student forum, chat room classes, and webinars with Michael and Lesley Tierra and faculty.
Each lesson includes a test and projects to be completed by the student at his/her own pace. The testing format consists of: true/false, multiple choice, matching and essay answer sections. In this way you are able to judge your own comprehension of the lesson material presented. The test questions are open-book and self-grade, while you e-mail us your essays and project reports. These illustrate your overall comprehension of the lesson’s concepts and themes. In this way we can monitor your progress and give feedback on any material that is not clear to you. These evaluations are then returned via e-mail. In addition to the above curriculum, optional supplemental materials are also available, including instructional CDs, articles, booklets, books and DVDs. These enhance the lessons further and help explain some of the more intricate theories of herbology on a deeper level.
As well as studying the course material, students are encouraged to access the “Student Assembly” online classroom on our website, where we offer a private forum area and chat room sessions with guest herbalists, East West Graduates and Michael Tierra. The forums and chat room sessions are your opportunity to engage, interact and connect with other students and school faculty. The online classroom also includes an articles area, PowerPoint presentations and more, all of which are included with your enrollment in the course.
Once you have completed the Professional Herbalist Course you take a final examination (also by correspondence) at no additional cost. Successfully passing this will entitle you to a Certificate in Herbal Studies, demonstrating completion of studies with Michael and Lesley Tierra.
Although there is not a time limit to complete the course, the average length of time to complete all 36 Lessons and supplementary books takes students one and a half to two years. Students have up to five years to complete all 36 Lessons.
This course lays the groundwork for eligibility to the East West Clinical Herbalist (EWCH) program. We encourage those in the Professional Herbalist Course to attend our onsite seminar tracks at our annual East West Herbal Seminars and learn some form of bodywork to combine with their herbal skills.
The onsite seminars are not required for graduation from the 36 Lesson Professional Course, however they are one of the requirements for the EWCH program. Those who complete this course are eligible to complete the requirements for and receive the East West Clinical Herbalist Degree (EWCH), which carries the endorsement of Michael and Lesley Tierra.
ALSO INCLUDED WITH THE COURSE
- The Way of Herbs by Michael Tierra
- The Way of Chinese Herbs by Michael Tierra
- Planetary Herbology by Michael Tierra
- Healing with the Herbs of Life by Lesley Tierra
- Chinese Traditional Herbal Medicine, Volumes I & II by Michael and Lesley Tierra
- The Way of Ayurvedic Herbs by Karta Khalsa and Michael Tierra
- Botany in a Day by Thomas J. Elpel
- Medicine Makers Handbook by James Green
- Herbal Medicine from the Heart of the Earth by Sharon Tilgner
- Tao of Nutrition by Maoshing Ni
- 300 Herbs: Their Indications and Contraindications by Matthew Alfs
Online Classroom In addition to the course we also offer an online classroom on our website, a private forum area and chat room sessions each week with guest herbalists. The forums and chat room sessions are your opportunity to engage, interact and connect with other students and school faculty and be a part of the East West School herbal community. The online classroom also includes an articles area, presentations and more, all of which are included with your enrollment in the course.
- 3 year subscription to the online classroom
- Attendance at all four East West annual in-person seminar tracks
SECTION DETAILS Section I:
- Lesson 1: The History of the Herbal Tradition
- Lesson 2: A Balanced Diet, The Key to Health
- Lesson 3: Using Foods as Medicine
- Lesson 4: Ayurveda Tridosha Theory
- Lesson 5: Chinese Medicine: Yin/Yang Theory
- Lesson 6: The Chinese Theory of Five Elements (Phases)
- Lesson 7: Assessment, Causes and Treatment of Disease
- Lesson 8: The Nature of Medicinal Herbs
- Lesson 9: Herbal Fundamentals and Formulary
- Lesson 10: Herbal Preparations for External Application
- Lesson 11: Herbal Preparations for Internal Application
- Lesson 12: Herbal Therapeutics, Adjunct Therapies and First Aid
- Lesson 13: Warming Diaphoretics: Warm Surface-relieving herbs
- Lesson 14: Cooling Diaphoretics
- Lesson 15: Purgatives
- Lesson 16: Alteratives and Blood Purifiers I: Herbs for Clearing Heat
- Lesson 17: Alteratives and Blood Purifiers II: Herbs for Clearing Heat
- Lesson 18: Diuretics: Herbs for Removing Excess Wetness
- Lesson 19: Antirheumatics: Herbs for Dispelling Wind and Damp
- Lesson 20: Phlegmolytic Expectorants and Antitussives
- Lesson 21: Herbs for Clearing Phlegm and Antitussives
- Lesson 22: Astringents: Herbs the Stabilize and Bind
- Lesson 23: I. Nervines: Herbs that Calm and Pacify the Spirit, II. Antispasmodics: Herbs That Calm and Relieve Internal Wind and Spasms
- Lesson 24: I. Herbal Stimulants: Herbs for Warming the Internal/Treating Cold and Wetness. II. Aromatic Consciousness-reviving Herbs: Fragrant Herbs for Opening Orifices
- Lesson 25: Alimentary System Herbs, Digestives, Carminatives, Qi-regulating Herbs, Emetics and Anti-emetics
- Lesson 26: Herbs That Regulate Blood (Western Physiological Description)
- Lesson 27: Hemostatics (Herbs That Stop Bleeding)
- Lesson 28: Herbal Tonics
- Lesson 29: Yang and Yin Tonics
- Lesson 30: I. Herbs Used to Expel Parasites, II. Herbs Used for External Treatments
- Lesson 31: The Four Diagnostic Methods of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Lesson 32: Assessment Strategies and Patterns: The Three Aspects, Six Stages and Four Levels
- Lesson 33: TCM Differential Diagnosis: Zang-Fu (Internal Organs) Symptom-Sign Diagnosis
- Lesson 34: Specific Diseases and Their Treatments — I
- Lesson 35: Specific Diseases and Their Treatments — II
- Lesson 36: Putting It All Together: Dui Yao Formulation, the Art of Simpling, and Developing an Herbal Practice
Come join us at East West School and become a well-trained, confident and competent herbalist!
- 36 information-packed lessons in 3 spiral-bound course books with a Workbook, Index book and …
- Individually graded essays
- Access to our amazing private student forum
- 12 additional books about herbology
- The comfort of learning from home, at your own pace
We are passionate about herbs, come join us and become a Planetary Herbalist! Our school offers the best herbal training, and at an affordable price too. Enroll online or call: 831-336-5010.
The course is also available on a payment plan. No obligation payments — you are not required to continue beyond the first 12 Lessons and payment one — unless you choose to do so.
Join us at East West School and begin your herbal journey today! Enroll now, click here!
For our international students please email: email@example.com for enrollment procedure and shipping fees. All enrolled students — course materials are mailed in 5-7 business days. Online classroom access is activated within 24 hours of enrollment! Enroll online or call: 831-336-5010